St. George’s Church is excited to announce the 2019 Fall Series of Wonderful Wednesdays (and Thursdays, too!), entitled:
One Planet, One People: Working Together to Meet the Challenge of an Ecological Crisis
When we read the phrase “ecological crisis,” we may fear that we’re going to hear predictions of doom and gloom that will overwhelm us. This series it not about doom and gloom, but about honesty and hope. In this series we will be invited to look at the realities of the ecological crisis we find ourselves in, but, even more so, we will be invited to look at how with resiliency, creativity and energy we can work together to meet the challenge before us. Our speakers bring an abundance of knowledge and experience to help us understand how we can transform the way we live in the world in order to sustain and honour the ecosystems that give us life. Some speakers will help us to shift our understanding of what’s needed, while others will give us practical steps we can take today to make a positive difference; all will help inspire us to be part of the solution the world longs for and needs.
This series is a part of the celebration of the global ecumenical “Season of Creation” during which we celebrate the bonds we share with each other and every living thing. The focus of the Season of Creation this year is “The Web of Life.” During this Season, we are invited “to pray, reflect and take bold action to preserve creation in all its complexity and specificity.” (www.seasonofcreation.org).
This year we are doing things a little differently by having Wednesday morning sessions and Thursday evening sessions:
- Wed, September 11th at 10am – Dr. John Thatamanil, “Greening Faith: An Intro to Eco-theology”
- Thurs, September 12th at 7pm – Adam Olsen, MLA, “Decarbonize and Decolonize”
- Wed, September 18th at 10am – Glenys Verhulst, “Saanich Climate Action Plan”
- Thurs, September 19th at 7pm – Dr. Trevor Hancock, “Welcome to the Anthropocene: Towards a One Planet Region”
- Wed, September 25th at 10am – Elena Dopfer “Climate Friendly Home”
- Thurs, September 26th at 7pm CANCELLED – Diana Gibson “Social Justice in a One Planet Region – Cost and Benefits for Vulnerable Populations”
- Wed, October 2nd at 10am – Dr. Matt Murphy, “Sustainable Investing: Strategies, Tools, and Evidence”
- Thurs, October 3rd at 7pm – Dr. Rick Kool, “Environmental Violence: Trying to Understand, Confront, and Reduce Our Damage’
Click here for speaker biographies and presentation summaries.
On Wednesday mornings we invite you to arrive at 9:30am (as we have at past Wonderful Wednesdays) for tea and treats. We will then start the speaker presentation at 10am.
On Thursday evenings, the speaker presentation will start at 7:00pm and we will break for refreshments after the presentation.
Bring your friends! Please feel welcome to invite anybody you think might enjoy this series.