Part-Time Youth Leadership Opportunities
Job Positions: Youth & Young Adult Leaders
Number of hires: 2-5 depending on hours applicants are looking for.
Hours: Evenings, Weekends. Minumum 4-5 hours a week, could be more if you'd like to run multiple groups a week!
Pay rate: $18/hour
Contract: September - December, extension to June possible.
Reports To: The Youth Group Leaders will report to the Program Coordinator.
St. George's Overview
St. George’s is a mid-sized Anglican Church located a few blocks past Cadboro Bay Village in Saanich. St. George’s is an active religious community with interests in social justice projects, community-building, providing worship opportunities for young people, and facilitating personal growth for all individuals. We are fully inclusive, working on being conscientious members of the 21st Century, and still honouring of our traditions and history.
To work with the Program Coordinator to lead groups for multiple age ranges (middle school, highschool and college/university students) to nurture and support them on their Christian spiritual journey.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Offer a weekly or biweekly gathering that creates a safe and supportive space for Youth or Young Adults to explore their spiritual lives.
- Activities include team building, social events, multifaith events, volunteer opportunities, fundraising, and special events
- Build meaningful relationships through positive interaction with youth program participants
- Connect students with other supportive resources as appropriate
- Create a schedule on a per semester (or monthly basis) outlining the upcoming dates for the group
- Work collaboratively with an assistant leader to plan upcoming fun, interactive programming
- Prepare and purchase materials needed for group activities and submit reimbursement forms
- Track yearly budget and fill out budget worksheet at the end of the fiscal year
- Meet regularly with Program Coordinator
- Adhere to all COVID-19 protocols outlined by the Diocese of BC
- Communicate program to potential attendees through social media, local churches, and local colleges/universities.
- Experience working with youth/young adults required
- Experience with creating Christian faith-based programming preferred
- Ability to apply sound judgment while creating a fun and safe environment for youth
- Knowledge of local resources for youth
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Must be inclusive and affirming to people of all genders, races and sexual identities/orientations
- Enthusiastic about seeing young adults participate in the church and grow in their faith
- Ability to work well with others, be a team player and communicate with church leadership
- Criminal Record Check and Safe Church Certificate and Level 1 First Aid Certification
Our Youth and Young Adult Groups:
- Wider Area Anglican Youth (WAAYV) group - middle school group. In the past, this group met weekly on Wednesdays from 6 - 8 pm.
- Tolmie Region Youth (TRY) Group is for our high school youth group for students in grades 9 - 12. Meetings have been held on Sunday evenings at 7 pm biweekly.
- Victoria Anglican Young Adults - This group meets weekly on Saturdays at 7pm and is for people aged 18-30 to participate.
As noted above, there is the opportunity to run more than one group if you would like more hours.
Check out the groups on our website at https://www.stgeorgecadborobay.ca/ministries/youth-ministry.
If you're interested in applying for one of these positions, please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible. Please indicate how many hours a week you would be looking for (4 hours minimum). If this job posting is still on the St. George's website, we are still hiring.