The Grounds Gardens
Around the church there are three major gardens: The Front Garden, The Memorial Walk Garden, and The Hall Garden. These spaces are lovingly maintained entirely by volunteers, and the team is always looking for a few extra folks to get their hands dirty. If you'd like to help maintain the gardens, please contact us to express your interest.
Update for the Covid-19 Pandemic
Following discussion with the Anglican Diocese of BC, we are able to continue our St. George's Community Garden in light of the COVID-19 pandemic. The British Columbia Provincial Health Officer has communicated that even during these times of preventative measures, healthy individuals are allowed outside for exercise and fresh air providing recommended social distancing rules are followed. In light of this statement and in recognition of the physical and psychological benefits of being outside and gardening, our Community Garden will be accessible to Community Garden members providing the following rules are followed:
- Social distancing guidelines of maintaining 6 feet between people is to be respected and maintained. If there are sufficient people present that this distance can not be maintained, then the most recent arrivals must leave and return later.
- As much as possible, gardeners should use their own tools.
- We recognize that this is not possible for some equipment, particularly the common water hoses and compost bins. To that end, gardeners should wear their own gardening gloves when working in the garden as this will minimize the risk of contact transfer of the virus.
- Gloves should also be worn when entering and leaving the garden as this will prevent unnecessary contact with the gate latch. Prevention of virus transfer is of paramount importance.
- Gardeners should wash their hands as soon as possible after leaving the garden. Gardeners are strongly encouraged to bring with them disinfectant wipes or other suitable products for this purpose.
- Note that St. George's Church remains closed for the time being, and there is no access to washrooms.
- Gardeners exhibiting any cold-like symptoms must not come to the Garden.
We know that these are difficult times for us all. Please know that we extend our thoughts and prayers for your well-being, and contact us if you have any questions or require clarification.